Solo Trip to Chiang Mai


Jadi trip nya ke Solo atau ke Chiang Mai? (Man, plz.)



Finally managed to post something in this blog after 43152766 days in faraway land...

Anyway.

If you're like me, who need a regular dose of zen moment with yourself, Chiang Mai is the perfect place to visit. Located in Northern Thailand, It's like the Thai's version of Yogyakarta: lively yet quiet and has a strong cultural elements while still keeping track on current trends. It is very easily accessible, not too crowded, and (non-Thai speaking) tourist friendly. For you guys who is currently planning a first solo trip abroad, Chiang Mai would be a good place to start.

I myself decided to go on a solo trip to Chiang Mai (instead of Koh Samui which was just as attractive offer esp with their iconic Full Moon Party) during last year's Christmas Holiday and enjoyed every bit of it! I did all the bookings in 1 hour during a illegal migration seminar in Bangkok lol. Anyways, I thought I'd share my experience with you so you have additional references in arranging your own trip ;)

How to get there 

First of all you need to actually get there (duh). As recommended by Christie, I ordered the return tickets from 12go which I think is very convenient. You just have to order and pay online and the ticket will be delivered to your email. However, if you buy a train ticket, you have to actually pick your own train ticket in their office since the Thai railway companies doesn't sell local train ticket other than in the train stations. But don't worry, 12go office is just right across the station.

Note: Other way to get the train ticket in a (slightly) cheaper rate is to go directly to the ticketing section in the Hua Lampong Station, they have a line for foreigner who does not speak Thai. Either way, you have to be noticed that the sleeper train is quite favourable and often sold out so make sure you book at least one week in advance!.
the inside of the train. Bunkbeds!

Because I still have to go to work on Christmas eve, chose the sleeper train departing from Hua Lampong Central Train Station in Bangkok on 22:00 and arrived at Chiang Mai on 12:10. I know what you're thinking: 14 HOURS?!?! SRSLY? but don't worry because the train was so comfortable I even wanted the trip to last few more hours.. It cost me around THB1,200 (around IDR 420,000). 

For the return trip, I decided to hop on a day bus departing from Chiang Mai Arcade Bus Station on 07:00 and arrive 17:00 in Morchit Bus Station near Chatuchak Weekend Market. Although it's cheaper, around THB700 or IDR 245,000, I do not recommend this means of transportation.. cukup gue aja udah yang merasakan. My seat was located on the side of the bus facing the sun and the street was just plain straight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok I feel like I'm gonna be dead if the trip lasted 1 or 2 hours longer. If you have the time just take the sleeper train back to Bangkok. 

Where to stay and how to get around


Once I got off the train at the Chiang Mai Train Station, i took a took-took (what?) to my hostel for THB100. It is Hug Hostel, located in the northern gate of old Chiang Mai city area and I really recommend staying there because of the easy access and good services. You can check out my full review here. I picked the mixed 6-bed room and paid only THB680 (around IDR 238,000) for 2 days! not bad right?


Inside Hug Hostel's room. Too bad I forgot to take pics of their other areas :(


As I said previously, Chiang Mai is a tourist friendly city. There are so many ways to get around the city depending on your preferences and of course, $$$

  • Motorbike
I was going to doi suthep (top left corner)
Chiang Mai is an easy city to navigate and if you are familiar with riding motorbike I would recommend using one. My hostel provide motorbike rental service for around THB200/day (IDR 70,000). Cheap and convenient!

  • Shared taxi aka Songtaew
Usually red colored and can fit up to 10 people, you can easily identify Songtaew roaming around the city or waiting for passenger in some area. This means of transportation is good if you don't drive motorbike but want to go to certain tourist attraction outside the city, like Doi Suthep. They usually charge THB100 or less depending on distance and total passengers.

  • Took-took
Took-took

What is Thailand without took-took? I personally prefer riding took-took in Chiang Mai than in Bangkok because there's less traffic (which makes riding took-took far more fun). Be careful for took-took driver who tries to charge you super expensive tho.. Don't let them charge you for more than THB150 for short distance ride. Well I guess you can measure by common sense..

In total, I spent THB 1,900 (Return Tickets from Bangkok) + THB 680 (Lodging) + THB 400 (Transport) = THB 2,980 or IDR 1,043,000 (THB 1 equivalent to IDR 350). I was not aiming to save, in case you wonder so I guess with more tweak here and there you could actually travel for a cheaper price.

So... that is basically all for now. There will be another post on what to do and where to eat in Chiang Mai... or Christie might do it (she also did went to Chiangmai) so stay tuned! ;)




Share:

1 comments

  1. 2Wheeladventures is Sydney’s leading motorcycle rental services. Whether for a short or long term rental or self-guided tour, we provide highest quality motorbikes to suit your needs. 2Wheeladventures offers the ultimate experience for riders.

    ReplyDelete